On 12 April 2008, Queen of the South F.C. beat Aberdeen 4-3 in the Scottish Cup to advance to their first Scottish Cup final.
The club, located in Dumfries, was founded in March 1919 as the result of the merger of two area clubs - the 5th Kirkcudbrightshire Rifle Volunteers/5th Kings Own Scottish Borders Football Team and Arrol-Johnston F.C. The new club's name was taken from David Dunbar, a local poet/politician who once referred to the town of Dumfries as "the Queen of the South."
Nicknamed "the Doonhamers," the club joined the Scottish Football League in 1923 as part of the Third Division. They enjoyed quick success, gaining promotion to the Second Division for the 1925-26 season, and then to the First Division for the 1933-34 season. The success was not to last, however, as 1959 saw the club relegated back to the Second Division. They returned to the top flight briefly for the 1962-63 and 1963-64 seasons, but have since moved between the second and third levels of the Scottish football pyramid. They currently play in the second tier.
Although the Doonhamers lost the 2008 Scottish Cup Final to Rangers, 3-2, the final remains a high point in the club's history.